Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Freshman HBCU Survival Guide


If that ain't the truth! Not speaking for myself, but that's according to Tumblr.

I am not a huge fan of creating countdowns and Top 10 lists because it's just too much. Well, there's a first for everything. I'm only naming 5, because I'll be holding you freshies' hands if I give you 10. Ya'll gonna learn today!

For current students and alumni of HBCU's, I applaud you for making the right choice because we all know that ain't nothing like attending an HBCU and we strive to let the world know how great we are! Yes "I am black and I am proud!!!!!!" That's James Brown talking for us. Most of us went to an HBCU just to stay black while others tried to "get away" if you catch my drift. Ultimately, we can all agree we made the right choice, whatever school it may be.

The best part of every school year is meeting the freshman. Freshmen these days put on blast how excited they are about college all over their Twitter (yes I'm talking to you), and you have every right to be excited. You're going to college. Your getting away from mom and dad and all that other foolishness that's bugging you at home. This are sorta my "10 Commandments" for surviving at this wonderful land called a college cam


I'm telling you what "30 Signs'" decided to leave out! Check it out if you don't believe me:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/shani/signs-you-went-to-a-black-college

Honestly,I'd give anything for Hillman College to be a real school, but I love my Lincoln even more and you should love your school just the same. And just the same, it is not what it is depicted on television. Sorry to break your heart, but BET and TVOne lied to you. I mean McDonald's is still hiring, so whatever floats your lifeboat.

For those who attend anything other than an HBCU, most of this information may be useful. Hence the word, most. I mean college is college. You going to graduate broke and confused to what you'll do with your life, anyway If that sentence or the image below scared you, then maybe college let alone an HBCU probably isn't for you.




Enough of the fun stuff. Time to get gritty. I may lose my newly obtained upperclassman card for this but I hate having to see the you youngin's suffer.

So ya know! You're welcome.

1. TURN UP.....I mean Transition Week.

I mean it is the only week where it's nonstop turn up mixed with boring sessions. Transition week..... If that isn't the most fakest form of school spirit I've ever seen. It's like coming out of Bring It On sequel. My advice is don't let that be the reason you find sudden hate for the school. Typical college welcoming is expected because your new but it doesn't undermine the fact your freshman. After the week of festivities are over, you nowAfter a while, you'll find your own reasons to love your school. Years will go by and you'll discover the right reasons.

2. On Wednesdays, we eat fried chicken. (or whatever odd day your school picks)

Did you say fried chicken? You attend an HBCU folks.....I guess you didn't read the title. Unfortunately, it's not momz fried chicken, or even KFC or Popeyes. At least you get a biscuit....But what better way for the cafeteria staff to remind you all of your black culture? They throw chicken at your face and you all start running faster than ya'll go to class! So make sure you get to the café on time so you can grab an ounce of something that reminds you of home. So get to the café early!!!! I've seen people skip class just for Fried Chicken Wednesday. Sad......

3. You don't need your textbooks? All truth.

I lied. There is some truth to that statement only because upperclassmen try to feed off of your vulnerability. If someone tries to sell you a book, find out if you actually need it because then you'll be stuck with a book you don't need. Don't fret, go sell it at the bookstore. You'll get your money back and then some. ;-)

4. If you don't go to Howard, then Homecoming won't be that lit!

That statement is far from lies and shenanigans. Every year, I dream of skipping my homecoming just to go to Howard's. Haters gonna hate but give credit where credit is due. I'd write the HBCU Homecoming Handbook if I could but I don't attend the Mecca of Homecoming Excellence. Howard is where it's add. Don't waste your money and time on an event that won't be popping. All depends on the artist for real. Would you pay money for events that lead up to a IceJJFish concert? If you wanna dress in your thot-for-a-night outfit for a night, be my guest. I can't speak for guys, because they'll wear anything, bless their souls. Just make sure it's worth it. That's none of my business (invisible tea though).

5. Don't be afraid of the Ramen. It wants to be friends

I laugh at the students who say they can't afford groceries so they'll stick with cafeteria food, and not resort to ramen noodles. It's just beneath you, right? Well kids, just like the Financial Aid office, the café has office hours too and they don't care whether you starve. So stock up, in case! If your broke, just ask three people for a quarter, and buy you a 52 cent cup for yourself.



Complain if you must, but some weren't fortunate to receive the knowledge you will obtain this upcoming school year. Some were not that lucky, I'm afraid. Be grateful and good luck freshman. You'll need it.


R.I.P Mike Brown #DontShoot

Dedicated to my little brother Elijah (BROOKLYN!)

No comments:

Post a Comment