Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Grammy Award: Start from the Drawing Board?





There is no way on God's green earth that these songs on the 2015 Grammy Nomination list made it this far. The Recording Academy needs to go back and start all over again. "Tuesday", honestly? We'll cross that burning bridge when we get to it.

I am an old fashioned music head who would rather prefer the 90's hip-hop/r&b over whatever sorry excuse of music this generation has to offer. With the small few artists I DO listen to, unfortunately, those who rightfully deserved nominations did not get them, and those who did probably will get cheated of their recognition (Ain't that right, Kendrick?) I read this list, and I was like "The hell is this?"

I'm just going to go through the categories that I have good knowledge of and give my winner prediction based on who the Academy may choose and my vote on who deserves the award. No need to comment on categories I do not listen to. Plus my vote versus my overall comments may be a little backwards at the most so forgive me.

1. RECORD OF THE YEAR

Fancy - Iggy Azalea Featuring Charli XCX

Chandelier - Sia

Stay With Me (Darkchild Version) - Sam Smith

Shake It Off - Taylor Swift

All About That Bass - Meghan Trainor


Now all these songs I must admit were all OVERPLAYED this year, so that's probably one reason they made it to this list. Honestly, better these five then that overrated Beyonce album. Like do you know how TIRED I am of seeing Drunk In Love on every award show list? Plus, the woman has no respect to even show up to any of the award shows, with the exception of the VMA's. I don't care for Taylor Swift at all. She bores me with ex-boyfriend shade records for the longest. I love All About That Bass and Fancy, but that will probably be the last hits we hear from either Iggy Azelea or Meghan Trainor. Chandelier was not all that for it to be considered "Record of the Year", so Sam Smith has my vote. He's the female Adele!
Prediction/My Vote: Stay With Me - Sam Smith

2. ALBUM OF THE YEAR

Morning Phase -Beck

Beyoncé - Beyoncé

X - Ed Sheeran
In The Lonely Hour - Sam Smith
Girl - Pharrell Williams
Here goes Beyonce again. Does anyone else feel like she's overrated? Like calling her Queen is like calling Will & Jada the next Barack & Michelle. They would be in close running if their kids weren't so wack in the head. I love Sam Smith, but I don't think Pharrell's album as a whole gives the award title much justice, but I think having Happy would save him. I still think Kendrick Lamar should've won last year. I'm still trying to get over that cheated loss.

Prediction: In The Lonely Hour - Sam Smith
My Vote - Sam Smith....duhh

3. SONG OF THE YEAR

All About That Bass

Chandelier
Stay With Me
Shake It Off
Take Me To Church
I didn't mention this earlier, but All About That Bass was in heavy repetition on my iTunes playlist. I love artists who tell me that big girls are beautiful. I just love the boost in self esteem the songs gives me. However, on the production and vocal side, Sam Smith takes this one. The only reason All About That Bass would win is because it's catchy and it has a meaning. Sam Smith's voice gives "Stay With Me" much more than it's overall message. I'll have to leave the verdict in the hand of the Recording Academy.  

My Prediction/Vote: All About That Bass or Stay With Me

4. BEST NEW ARTIST

Iggy Azalea

Bastille
Brandy Clark
Haim
Sam Smith

If they don't get outta here, and just give Sam Smith that award? If they don't there's a problem. He's the best one on this list. Next ----------

5. BEST POP SOLO PERFORMANCE

All Of Me (Live) John Legend


Chandelier Sia
Stay With Me (Darkchild Version) Sam Smith
Shake It Off Taylor Swift
Happy (Live) Pharrell Williams
I swear Happy won every award it was nominated for at the 2014 BET Awards. However, this is not BET, so we have to think more with higher standards. Happy was a good song. Positive message and all that jazz, but I wouldn't be surprised if the heavenly voiced Sam Smith won again. However he has stiff competition with John Legend in this category.

My Prediction/Vote: Sam, John or Pharrell is fine with me. It's probably going to be John or Sam.

17. BEST R&B PERFORMANCE

Drunk In Love Beyoncé Featuring Jay Z

New Flame Chris Brown Featuring Usher & Rick Ross
It's Your World Jennifer Hudson Featuring R. Kelly
Like This Ledisi
Good Kisser Usher

My mom once told me that every song Usher released was a hit. That couldn't be more farther from the truth. He's a good singer, but I would not consider myself a huge fan. His songs are good but his live performance blow me over. He's trying SOOOO hard to be Michael Jackson, it is depressing. Anyway, Drunk in Love doesn't have my vote. I cannot even consider it true R&B. I have to give it to Jennifer Hudson. Her song was really good too. Ledisi was okay, but I'd rather her win over Beyonce (that's definitely not gonna happen)

Prediction: Probably Beyonce, unfortunately
My Vote: Ledisi or Jennifer

19. BEST R&B SONG

Drunk In Love - Beyonce

Good Kisser - Usher

New Flame - Usher, Chris Brown & Rick Ross

Options (Wolfjames Version) - Luke James

The Worst Jhené Aiko 


R&B, in it's definition and sound has completely changed, and personally not my cup of tea as far this generation is concerned. Usher and Beyonce are killing in these categories so far, so I am honestly not surprised if they win. Luke James is probably the only artist who is clinging onto what's left of true R&B. I like his voice live when he came to Lincoln University (#HailHailLincoln 1-8-5-4)  Jhene Aiko? I don't see the hype. She can sing, I guess but I don't understand her voice. Like I don't know what her true voice sounds like for real.

My Vote: Luke James

20. BEST URBAN CONTEMPORARY ALBUM

Sail Out Jhené Aiko


Beyoncé Beyoncé
Chris Brown
Mali Is... Mali Music
Girl Pharrell Williams
Please let Pharrell take this award home. I take back what I said before. I'm sick of seeing Beyonce. Jhene Aiko still confuses me. Mali Music was ehhhh okay. It was good, but it wasn't Pharrell. In the case of Chris Brown, the dude has much potential, but I haven't been a fan girl of him since I was like 13. If he wins, I'll be content.

My Prediction: Pharrell
My Vote: At this point, anyone who beats Beyonce has my vote. Sorry Bey, you've been seen too much.

22. BEST RAP PERFORMANCE

3005 Childish Gambino

0 To 100 / The Catch Up Drake
Rap God Eminem
Kendrick Lamar
All I Need Is You Lecrae
DONALD EFFING GLOVER AND KENDRICK EFFING LAMAR! Those two have came some far, and after that let down last year, KENDRICK better win! Now, the rest of the nominees are fully entitled to this, but I feel K-Dot deserves a lot more. Everyone is awaiting his official return with his new album. I am retreating in Bugs Bunny's rabbit hole until the album drops. Until then, I'll be bumping "i". Childish Gambino can hold his own as well, and I LOVE 3005. 

My Prediction: KENDRICK!
My Vote: If not Kendrick, the Childish, then Lecrae, then Eminem, then Drake. Sorry Drake fans........

23. BEST RAP/SUNG COLLABORATION

Blak Majik Common Featuring Jhené Aiko

The Monster Eminem Featuring Rihanna

Tuesday I Love Makonnen Featuring Drake

Studio Schoolboy Q Featuring BJ The Chicago Kid

Bound 2 Kanye West & Charlie Wilson


How did "Tuesday" get on this list? Drake probably. I'm not hating. I heard the song. It deserves a BET Award rather than a Grammy. I'm DEAD SERIOUS. Idk if he sings or raps. I Love Makonnen looks more like I Love McDonalds. He looks like a giant ass Teddy Graham. Enough of that........

My Prediction: Kanye, Common, or Eminem. I can't choose
My Vote: Schoolboy Q

24. BEST RAP SONG

Anaconda

Bound 2
I
We Dem Boyz
0 To 100 / The Catch Up
This category is completely tough to tackle, even though it should not be simply because of the major hype of that one song: ANACONDA. That has to be the most catchiest song Nicki Minaj ever recorded. Overall as an artist, I feel like her priorities of what she sees as a female rapper is skewered and Anaconda is an example. You're representing us women by twerking and bouncing those balloons. I mean whatever. Do you boo. I like Kanye, when he's not smelling his own ass. We Dem Boyz, I never considered a Grammy level type song. 0 to 100 earned its props. Of course, you already know my vote.

My Prediction: KING KENDRICK
My Vote: I hate to repeat myself.

25. BEST RAP ALBUM

The New Classic Iggy Azalea

Because The Internet Childish Gambino
Nobody's Smiling Common
The Marshall Mathers LP2 Eminem
Oxymoron Schoolboy Q
Blacc Hollywood Wiz Khalifa
I really didn't care for Iggy Azalea unless you mention Fancy or Black Widow. Her whole album didn't do much justice in my eyes. Common will be Common, meaning his meaningful lyrics can hold his own. Same for Eminem. Schoolboy Q's album was amazing, considering that he's under the same label as King Kendrick. But this award, I have to give it to Donald. Like hearing that album opens your mind to so many wonderful things and ideas. It's like reading a story. Dude can spit too, so what's not to like about him.

My Prediction: They'll probably give to Eminem or Common.
My Vote: I'm staying Childish all the way.


Honorable mention: Frozen better win every damn award!

Who do you think deserve of Grammy Award winning artist? Comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment